
A lot of people have a problem with the idea of gaining—or even simply glorifying the big and the beautiful.
Being fat, they say, is unhealthy and increases your risk for serious illness—diabetes and heart disease usually top the list.
Studies have shown that it is possible for one to be overweight—even obese—and still maintain a healthy metabolic profile. The opposite is also true (to be slim and have a poor metabolic profile). Yet no matter how healthy a larger person can be, data is now showing us that they will face an increased risk of health problems in the longer term as a result of their excess weight.
A recent study in Sweden indicates that as fatter people get older, their risk for heart disease becomes somewhere around 50% higher than their thin counterparts with the same metabolic profile (I propose one way to mitigate this increased risk at the end of this entry).
Much more research needs to be done, but the evidence available is clearly telling us that no matter how much fat people exercise and eat well, the simple fact that they are heavier places them in a higher risk group for late-in-life health problems.
But does that mean gainers or people who endorse the “big is sexy” mantra are somehow killing themselves or their partners?
Should elevated risk deter us from pursing something that makes us happy?
THE TROUBLE WITH RISK
The human race as a whole has a tricky relationship with risk.
We’ve spent millennia working to create systems and technologies that will reduce our risk of death or injury—ranging from the seatbelt of today to the time the first caveman put some rocks around his fire to keep his feet from getting burnt.
And yet at the same time, we revel in it. We make heroes out of the great risk-takers (explorers, warriors, astronauts). We are excited and inspired by risk, even if we are simultaneously terrified by it.
But no matter how much we try to prevent it, risk is all around. Simply living is to take risks.
Getting into a car is perhaps one of the riskiest things a young American could do. And yet every day, most of us do it without thinking twice.
A recent study by the American Heart Association found that watching TV (or sitting in front of a computer), increases the risk of heart attack or stroke by a staggering 80%, regardless of weight. And yet somehow I doubt any Americans are ready give up their Dancing with the Stars over that finding (I certainly won't be giving up my 30 Rock).
We try to live our lives with as many insurance policies as possible. Traditionally those policies were a spouse, children and close family connections. Later it became money, and most recently—as life-spans have lengthened—it’s come to include good health.
But the deep dark truth about life is that it’s short. It ends. Nobody gets out alive.
In other words: Shit happens.
We can calculate risk and avoid that which is not palatable but we can’t avoid living.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
I’d like to think that I’m a health-conscious big guy.
I weigh 360 pounds (yeah, those last 10 pounds just kinda crept up on me). I do cardio two or three times a week and live in New York City (sans car), where I probably walk a few miles every day.
Just to maintain at this size takes a lot of food. So I try to eat good stuff (you know, veggies) and avoid the bad stuff (like trans fats; too much sodium).
I’ll explore how to gain or maintain in a healthy way in another blog post, but I wanted to explain that I’m not simply sitting around on a couch all day stuffing my face with pie (as pleasing as that thought may be).
And yet despite all my efforts, I know that I’m still a 360-pound guy. No matter how much cardio I do or veggies I eat, my weight takes a certain toll on my body and I’m sure that it increases the risk that I may get sick or even die earlier than I would if I lost weight and kept it off.
Does that mean I’m killing myself?
No more than someone who drives everyday is killing themselves. Or someone who drinks a moderate amount of alcohol. Or watches TV.
Plenty of activities (and genetic factors) can elevate our risks for dying. But we can’t avoid all of them—and especially not the ones that contribute to our sense of well-being and happiness.
I want to live a long life, but I’d also like to live a happy one. Most importantly, I’d like to live one on my own terms. If you want to eat whey everyday and run 16 miles so you can live to 100, that’s great for you. That’s just not my idea of “living.”
I like to eat. I like to be big. So I’m finding a way to accommodate those needs with the right dose of precaution to live as long and happily as possible. If my vital signs ever start turning south, putting my health in serious jeopardy, I have no qualms about losing some of the weight to bring my risk back to an acceptable level.
But in general, I’m not going to stop myself from being who I want to be or doing what I want to do, simply because it might marginally elevate my risk of dying someday. Many things I love elevate that risk. That’s part of being alive.
I work in a field that requires a lot of travel (and living) in the developing world. When I lived in Nairobi it was considered the second-most dangerous city in the world. Crime is ubiquitous. Car accidents abound. And there’s countless untreatable diseases lurking about.
And then there's the simple stress of it all.
But even if my line of work means I have a higher chance of dying slightly younger, it won’t stop me from doing it. It’s what I love. Yes a nice safe accounting job in a cubicle in Sacramento might reduce my risk, but it wouldn’t give me the satisfaction and joy I get from what I do.
That’s a risk I’m willing to accept.
HOW MUCH RISK CAN YOU ACCEPT?
Does that mean that everyone should gain? Not necessarily. If you have reservations, take the time to explore them honestly. See a doctor and evaluate your risk (or potential risk) for health problems. Compare that against the other risk factors in your life.
Nobody should gain if they aren’t comfortable with the ramifications (see-sawing back and forth between gaining and losing is probably the least healthy thing you could do to your body).
When you’re deciding what to do—whether to gain, lose or maintain—just be sure to keep things in perspective; and always take the notion of “elevated risk” with a grain of salt.
Sometimes, life demands a little risk.
Now if you’re still hooked on the numbers thing and looking for some way to improve your long-term outcomes, you may want to check out a recent study by the New England Research Institute in Massachusetts: They found that regular sex (twice a week or more) reduced by 50% the chance of a heart attack in adult men—again, regardless of weight.
Sure beats an apple a day.
Being fat, they say, is unhealthy and increases your risk for serious illness—diabetes and heart disease usually top the list.
Studies have shown that it is possible for one to be overweight—even obese—and still maintain a healthy metabolic profile. The opposite is also true (to be slim and have a poor metabolic profile). Yet no matter how healthy a larger person can be, data is now showing us that they will face an increased risk of health problems in the longer term as a result of their excess weight.
A recent study in Sweden indicates that as fatter people get older, their risk for heart disease becomes somewhere around 50% higher than their thin counterparts with the same metabolic profile (I propose one way to mitigate this increased risk at the end of this entry).
Much more research needs to be done, but the evidence available is clearly telling us that no matter how much fat people exercise and eat well, the simple fact that they are heavier places them in a higher risk group for late-in-life health problems.
But does that mean gainers or people who endorse the “big is sexy” mantra are somehow killing themselves or their partners?
Should elevated risk deter us from pursing something that makes us happy?
THE TROUBLE WITH RISK
The human race as a whole has a tricky relationship with risk.
We’ve spent millennia working to create systems and technologies that will reduce our risk of death or injury—ranging from the seatbelt of today to the time the first caveman put some rocks around his fire to keep his feet from getting burnt.
And yet at the same time, we revel in it. We make heroes out of the great risk-takers (explorers, warriors, astronauts). We are excited and inspired by risk, even if we are simultaneously terrified by it.
But no matter how much we try to prevent it, risk is all around. Simply living is to take risks.
Getting into a car is perhaps one of the riskiest things a young American could do. And yet every day, most of us do it without thinking twice.
A recent study by the American Heart Association found that watching TV (or sitting in front of a computer), increases the risk of heart attack or stroke by a staggering 80%, regardless of weight. And yet somehow I doubt any Americans are ready give up their Dancing with the Stars over that finding (I certainly won't be giving up my 30 Rock).
We try to live our lives with as many insurance policies as possible. Traditionally those policies were a spouse, children and close family connections. Later it became money, and most recently—as life-spans have lengthened—it’s come to include good health.
But the deep dark truth about life is that it’s short. It ends. Nobody gets out alive.
In other words: Shit happens.
We can calculate risk and avoid that which is not palatable but we can’t avoid living.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
I’d like to think that I’m a health-conscious big guy.
I weigh 360 pounds (yeah, those last 10 pounds just kinda crept up on me). I do cardio two or three times a week and live in New York City (sans car), where I probably walk a few miles every day.
Just to maintain at this size takes a lot of food. So I try to eat good stuff (you know, veggies) and avoid the bad stuff (like trans fats; too much sodium).
I’ll explore how to gain or maintain in a healthy way in another blog post, but I wanted to explain that I’m not simply sitting around on a couch all day stuffing my face with pie (as pleasing as that thought may be).
And yet despite all my efforts, I know that I’m still a 360-pound guy. No matter how much cardio I do or veggies I eat, my weight takes a certain toll on my body and I’m sure that it increases the risk that I may get sick or even die earlier than I would if I lost weight and kept it off.
Does that mean I’m killing myself?
No more than someone who drives everyday is killing themselves. Or someone who drinks a moderate amount of alcohol. Or watches TV.
Plenty of activities (and genetic factors) can elevate our risks for dying. But we can’t avoid all of them—and especially not the ones that contribute to our sense of well-being and happiness.
I want to live a long life, but I’d also like to live a happy one. Most importantly, I’d like to live one on my own terms. If you want to eat whey everyday and run 16 miles so you can live to 100, that’s great for you. That’s just not my idea of “living.”
I like to eat. I like to be big. So I’m finding a way to accommodate those needs with the right dose of precaution to live as long and happily as possible. If my vital signs ever start turning south, putting my health in serious jeopardy, I have no qualms about losing some of the weight to bring my risk back to an acceptable level.
But in general, I’m not going to stop myself from being who I want to be or doing what I want to do, simply because it might marginally elevate my risk of dying someday. Many things I love elevate that risk. That’s part of being alive.
I work in a field that requires a lot of travel (and living) in the developing world. When I lived in Nairobi it was considered the second-most dangerous city in the world. Crime is ubiquitous. Car accidents abound. And there’s countless untreatable diseases lurking about.
And then there's the simple stress of it all.
But even if my line of work means I have a higher chance of dying slightly younger, it won’t stop me from doing it. It’s what I love. Yes a nice safe accounting job in a cubicle in Sacramento might reduce my risk, but it wouldn’t give me the satisfaction and joy I get from what I do.
That’s a risk I’m willing to accept.
HOW MUCH RISK CAN YOU ACCEPT?
Does that mean that everyone should gain? Not necessarily. If you have reservations, take the time to explore them honestly. See a doctor and evaluate your risk (or potential risk) for health problems. Compare that against the other risk factors in your life.
Nobody should gain if they aren’t comfortable with the ramifications (see-sawing back and forth between gaining and losing is probably the least healthy thing you could do to your body).
When you’re deciding what to do—whether to gain, lose or maintain—just be sure to keep things in perspective; and always take the notion of “elevated risk” with a grain of salt.
Sometimes, life demands a little risk.
Now if you’re still hooked on the numbers thing and looking for some way to improve your long-term outcomes, you may want to check out a recent study by the New England Research Institute in Massachusetts: They found that regular sex (twice a week or more) reduced by 50% the chance of a heart attack in adult men—again, regardless of weight.
Sure beats an apple a day.

"I’m not going to stop myself from being who I want to be or doing what I want to do, simply because it might marginally elevate my risk of dying someday. Many things I love elevate that risk. That’s part of being alive."
ReplyDeleteThis is pretty much what I've based my life on for the past few years. What's the point of living longer if you're living unhappily?
Very nice post.
(Part 1 of 2)
ReplyDeleteAs always, great posting SFBD.
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, my main issue with this community and its' fascination with weight, is knowing when to say when.
At 5'6" and 251, and 34 years old, I love where I'm at now. I have a nice sized belly and body that feels great. I don't seem to feel as winded as most would think...but I'm still a diabetic (4 years now) with HBP issues (medication-controlled). And if that weren't enough, I'm currently training to be a chef.
According to the BMI calculator, in order to be "healthy" by normal American standards, I'd have to lose 100 pounds to be just within the "Normal weight" range, and even then, that gives me a BMI of 24.2 - which is actually on the higher side of the "Normal weight" scale. In order to have a BMI closer to the middle of the "Normal weight" scale, I'd have to lose a total of 120 pounds.
That doesn't sound great to me at all - being thin just so I can be "Normal weight"? What if I don't find being 130 pounds fun? It feels great to have this extra 120 pounds to rub on and have rubbed by someone I love - THAT is happiness to me.
Therefore, I take my medication and I watch what I eat to some degree, even though I've been told by doctors that the meds I have could get to a point where they need to be increased and that certain bodily functions could become difficult. I know the risks, and I act with some caution.
(Part 2 of 2)
ReplyDeleteHere's the problem though, as I see it:
Most guys into this fetish seem to ignore the health risks of it altogether, in order to fulfill this unrealistic fantasy of being 500 pounds, or immobile. There IS a point at which fat can become unsexy. If I can hear you breathing before I see you, I'm scared for you. I'm scared because there's a big chance that your neverending quest for fat will lead to you not finding true happiness, and worse, an early grave.
Now, if TRUE happiness for you means being 500-1000 pounds, and immobile, with no one to emotionally and sexually satisfy you, and food being your ONLY "friend", then by all means, I wish you the best in your life.
But I think that's a lie that people who have been taught to settle for and believe in to make themselves feel better. I think some of these 500 pound guys out here are trapped by their fat, and they don't know how to get out, so they live inside of it.
Most of us don't want to be "psychologically explained" because we're afraid of what it will reveal to ourselves and others - and that's a perfectly fine choice. HOWEVER, IF you want to have a healthy life with someone else, at some point, you have to love who YOU are for REAL - not settling for where you are and hoping some guy will feel sorry enough for you to make you his personal project and charity case. Giving someone else that much power and responsibility in your life is dangerous and unethical.
I do realize that people like yourself SFBD are perfectly happy with the weight you have and my comments are not meant for you specifically, but I urge EVERYONE in this community with a brain to SERIOUSLY take a LONG hard look at your life and figure out what it is and what you want.
We all deserve to be happy - happy isn't settling - happy isn't doing what the health professionals say will extend your life - happy could very well be living until the age of 70 with 100 pounds of extra weight that makes you feel good about yourself. Happy could mean compromising some small part of your goal to find love.
I don't think we as people (let alone as men) were meant to live alone in this life. There IS someone out there who will TRULY love you for whatever you are and want to be.
In this past 2 years that I made the decision to examine my sexuality and figure out what it is that I am, I've seen some shit that will make anyone's head spin. I've seen some fetishes that make this whole fat thing we celebrate look like blocks on the strings of an abacus; but if THOSE fetishes TRULY make those people happy, NO ONE is fit to judge that.
"He who is without dogshit on his sneaker, take the first step on the white rug..." ©Whoopi Goldberg via her Fontaine character
When the time comes for the chapter and casket lid to be closed on your life, if you can look back before that last breath and TRULY say you enjoyed the ride FOR YOURSELF, then hell yeah, the risk was worth it.
The way I see it, we only get one chance at this living thing. If we sacrifice enjoying our lives just so they can be longer, what do we gain? More time spent doing things we don't enjoy, or not doing things we do enjoy? No thanks.
ReplyDeleteI read an article on the Swedish study... apparently they didn't track physical activity as a factor at all. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_93476.html Which is ridiculous.
ReplyDelete