Monday, June 21, 2010

Advice from Mr. Savage

After a bit of a break, I’m back to blogging.

Working in communications, I spend a large part of my days writing. So when work get’s crazy, by the time I get home, the last thing I want to do is sit at my keyboard and tap out coherent thoughts. Work got a bit hectic for a month there, but thankfully it’s calming down.

This post was actually inspired by a recet chance encounter.

I was grabbing dinner at Chipotle after work last week and ran into a gainer friend (because New York is just one of those places where that kind of thing happens), and we got to talking about our respective developments in coming to terms with gaining.

He mentioned that a few years back, when he was in a much more conflicted state, he had called into Dan Savage for some advice. For those of you who don’t know, Mr. Savage is a gay man with an internet radio show through which he dishes out sex and relationship advice to straight and gay people alike.

My friend is rather embarrassed by how much of a mess he was when he made the call, but he agreed to share it with me and you all in the gainerverse.

The recording is available here. (Just skip forward to 13:15 to hear the conversation)

I was impressed by how much Mr. Savage seemed to understand about this kink, but he also appeared to conflate the act of feeding with a broader interest in gaining. It seems like he didn’t quite understand the caller’s desire to actually get fatter and not just play with food in bed or put on a couple pounds.

But otherwise, Mr. Savage had some pretty sensible advice to give. Anyone who’s ever felt conflicted about this—or any—kink, should give this a listen. I’m sure you’ll hear something in my friend’s voice that sounds altogether familiar. I know I did.


KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE

The conversation covers a lot of ground really quick, so there’s plenty to take in, but one of the things that struck me most was that my friend had all his facts straight—they just weren’t connecting to something deeper within him.

You can hear him say that this kink is a part of him and will continue to be for a long time. He seems to know that to be happy, he needs to engage it, whether that means telling a civilian partner about it or dating guys who are into it as well, or even gaining some weight himself.

And yet, he seems to be unable to make the connection between those facts, which he accepts on a conscious, visceral level, and something deeper that’s happening inside him.

No matter what he knows—and what Mr. Savage says—it just doesn’t feel right in his gut (pun intended).

For as much as we like to think that people are rational beings, we’re largely not. We’re emotional beings, which is what makes us so unique.

If we were rational, and always acted in ways that served our own happiness and prosperity, life would be pretty routine and boring. But we’re unpredictable. We act based as much on feeling as we do on facts, if not moreso.

And the thing about facts is that they don’t always coalesce with our deeper feelings. So even when we accept them (like accepting that this kink isn’t going anywhere and that to be happy, I need to engage it) it’s still hard to make the jump from simply knowing that to really accepting it—and living it.

Deep down inside, I think a lot of us want to be “normal.” Most kinks only manifest themselves in the bedroom. If you like feet or scat or bondage, all of it happens behind closed doors. So you can engage those kinks and 99 percent of your life can still be “normal.”

But gaining has ramifications for our lives outside the bedroom. Those extra pounds don’t disappear when you climax. And your friends will notice your partner’s added girth.

All of that can make accepting—and I mean truly accepting—this kink a little bit more difficult. Especially when that little voice deep inside you is sending all kinds of mixed messages about your body, your role in life and what others will think of you.


CERTAIN MISERY VS A CHANCE AT HAPPINESS

Mr. Savage said something during the conversation that I thought was particularly profound:

“Just like at one point you had to accept your homosexuality, you need to accept that you have this [kink]. And it’s not the [kink] that’s making you miserable. It’s you not reconciling yourself to the [kink] that’s making you miserable—it’s the conflict in your heart that you maintain through not accepting it and having a sense of humor about it.”

In a nutshell: the kink isn’t the problem; the conflict we create about the kink is.

I think that’s an important line to draw for those who are conflicted, because when you view the kink—and with it, your sexuality—as a problem, you end up turning it into an “other”. It becomes something separate from you and damaging to you. So you focus your baggage on that darn kink. If only you could shake it off, everything would be better.

By turning something that is naturally a part of us into an “other,” we keep ourselves from accepting it. The only way to get over that is to take all that anxiety and fear and refocus it. Instead of hating and resenting the kink, hate and resent the conflict you have with the kink.

Make that conflict the thing that needs to go away, not the desire to get bigger or make someone else bigger.

Mr. Savage continued with his advice:

“You’re miserable right now. You have the certain misery of continuing on as you have up until this point. Or you have what? Maybe you’ll be open about and some people will be shitty about it, and you’ll feel a little bad about it. But only by being open about it will you meet other people who are open about it and self-accepting about it, and find some happiness and contentment. It’s just like when you’re in the closet, when your option is certain misery in the closet or a chance of happiness out.”

The idea of accepting this kink and all that goes with it can be scary (it is uncertain, after all), but it’s a wholly happier prospect than ignoring or suppressing it.

My friend on the call refers to being dealt a weird hand. I think all of us were dealt weird hands, but I’d hardly call them bad hands.

We can’t control the cards we’re dealt. That’s for certain. But we sure as hell can decide how we play them.

I say, play for a chance at happiness.

8 comments:

  1. This blog is making me want to smile and cry all at the same time... :-...)

    First, I remember when I got hip to Dan's podcasts about 1 year ago, and in an effort to "catch up", I downloaded and listened to all of them (coincidentally, this is one of the two podcasts Dan did where they REALLY spoke to how I was feeling about my life as a gay man).

    I remember this call, and there was a *small* part of me that wanted to find this guy and reach out to say, "hey, if you ever need to talk, let me know", with some small subtle wish that I could possibly date him, JUST so he could know that there were sane guys who were into this and into loving someone as well. It also felt a bit scary, because for the first time, my gay world and my BeefyFrat world were closing in together...

    Anyhow, 21:25 in the podcast is a part that REALLY confirmed to me that what I wanted relationship wise was indeed realistic - I just have to be patient and keep looking.

    And yeah, to *some* degree, Dan was mixing the fetishes and blurring the lines a little bit, but what warmed my heart was that he understood it, and sought to make the caller feel good about himself and what he desires. To this day, that is why I love Dan Savage for what he does, and take every opportunity to tell people I get close to. :-)

    As a footnote, I still hope this guy finds someone special and has a long lovely life. I'm personally at a point where my heart is open to finding true love with someone who wants to fulfill me sexually, while I fulfill THEIR sexual needs, but doesn't see a life with me as being just one or two dimensional. I'm very hopeful that it will happen soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please thank your friend for sharing this with us all. It's so important that we all discuss this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, while listening to that, I also wanted to reach out to the guy to offer some form of support. Hell, after listening to all that and hearing all of the same concerns that I once had coming out of his mouth, I wanted to hug him (out of compassion, mind you).

    Great post. It's good to see you blogging again; I missed this philosophical look at our fetish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great post and conversation. I think your friend's call to Dan highlights what the majority of people in the gaining/encouraging community are going through. Thanks for posting it: it made me a think a whole lot about how I relate to my desires, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dinner at Chipotle: Good move.
    Bumping into a friend there: Even better.
    Discovering he's connected to a Dan Savage podcast about gaining: Priceless.

    No need for me to rehash the comments of others. But what struck me most was Dan's level-headed reassurance that just because you've had one negative experience with a psycho gainer or encourager, that doesn't mean we're ALL that way... there are good guys out there, too.

    -trin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another excellent and insightful post about those in the gaining community! I applaud you, Jed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'The pope doesn't say fat people can't get married' - classic! and so true... you know, people are so much more likely to care about whether you're gay at all over what shape your gayness has chosen to manifest itself in - but because we can feel so ashamed of our fetishes, in our own heads we make that into the problem, and obsess over people finding out about the specific things that get us off - people probably ain't gonna understand - or even care about your kinks - they'll either accept you for being gay, or they won't - And their interest won't stretch further.

    As for talking about your kinks with sexual partners goes - if they don't like it, aren't comfortable with it, just don't get it or even if they aren't particularly good at making it work for you - it's harsh, but you probably aren't too well-suited in the bedroom department even if you really
    dig each other looks-wise.

    If you're in the position I'll admit I've been in myself of trying to force yourself to have 'normal' sex because you feel ashamed about what you're into - The sooner you break that habit, the better. Sex is supposed to be fun! Savage is so right about learning to take your kinks less seriously, just going with them and having a good time! Also - what's 'normal' sex anyway? That slow, sensual love-making you see in the movies? MAN that looks dull! They're not even covered in cake!
    One thing I've learnt from chatting to lots of guys over the last year and a bit is that the fella interested in nothing but normal sex *probably* doesn't exist. There isn't one guy out there who doesn't want to do something a little bit bizarre from time to time - and lots of them are ashamed of that, too - even when it's worlds apart from gaining/fatness and might even be considered kinda tame/vanilla by some standards. I'm pretty up front about what gets me off nowadays - so after saying hi, commenting on the weather and general life stuff - I've had several conversations that have gone something like this

    Me: Well... I'm kinda into some weird stuff...
    Them: Give me an example
    Me: How d'you mean?
    Them: Like... tell me one of your favourite fantasy scenario's
    Me: okay... well - I kinda like the idea of a huge fat guy basting me in bbq sauce, telling me he's going to eat me alive and about how fat I'm going to make him - and then having crazy animalistic sex with him into the early hours of the morning.
    Them: Oh...

    well thats not so weird.
    Me: Really? hmm... your call, I guess
    so what are you into?
    Them: okay... promise not to freak?
    Me: Sure - I promise!
    Them: well...

    sometimes I like to talk dirty.

    After reading that I'm thinking - 'awwr, bless you!'

    So anyway - it's relative, and sex can make us all feel pretty ashamed if we let it - the trick is not to let it - unless feeling ashamed is your thing, in which case go for it!
    There's really no telling why we do the things we do.

    Great post, Jed. :D

    ReplyDelete