Friday, February 5, 2010

The Power Dichotomy


I’ve had a few people ask me to write about why we’re into this kink on the blog.

I’ve resisted exploring the “why” partly because I don’t think it’s an important question (and partly because I have no freakin idea). The main reason we—as human beings—want to know the root cause of something is so that we can fix it, but nothing here needs to be fixed.

There is nothing to be gained from knowing why we have this kink—whether it was because the doctor who delivered you was eating a doughnut or just a complete misreading of Willie Wonka as a child doesn’t really matter.

Perhaps its better we have some mystery about why we’re into gaining, encouraging and bellies.

But there is an intriguing theory that closely relates to the “why”: Despite a wide range of tastes and desires within our community, underlying all of our interests in gaining and encouraging is a single concept, lurking in our subconscious.

That concept is power (and hamburgers… OK, so there are two concepts).

The intimate link between power and sexuality is not unique to gainers and encouragers, but it’s interesting for us to think about nonetheless.

What is perhaps most intriguing to me is the idea of a dichotomy of power: How the desire for power and the desire for vulnerability both seem to co-exist, quite peacefully, within our little community. Even more fascinating is how they appear to co-exist, oftentimes, within a single person.

THE POWER/VULNERABILITY THEORY

It may not be conscious, but it seems like all of us are drawn to gaining, encouraging and belly loving because of power.

But there are two sides to that coin.

The first is the expression of raw power: This is masculinity at its most extreme. This is the side that might revel in the large man with the greedy appetite; the guy who takes what he wants; the guy who grows his belly and his status at the same time. Guys who prefer this side of the coin may enjoy the idea of a man who is not only in control of himself, but possibly even the people around him. Perhaps people step out of his way on the street and smaller guys feel intimidated by his size and strength.

On the other side of the coin we have a lack of power—otherwise known as vulnerability. Here we also have growth and size too, but a completely opposing underlying idea. This side might revel in the guy who is force-fed; the guy who is fattened by someone else; the guy who is completely out of control and can’t stop eating. This side of the coin might prefer the idea of a guy becoming immobile or even get off on him becoming less healthy and functional.

(These examples are meant to give context and in no way are intended to be an exhaustive list of the kinds of things people might like that fall into these two buckets).

Power and vulnerability sure sound like two totally opposing ideas, and yet, somehow, they seem to exist, side-by-side, in relative harmony in our community.

I think part of that is because while the underlying motivation is so different, the external process is the same. We can talk about the same kinds of things—eating, growing and loving big bellies—while being motivated by two different ideas. We can look at the same picture and admire it just the same—but imagine two completely different paths and reasons for getting there.

Gaining is, after all, an idea (or perhaps, two ideas).

And yet it’s not just within the community that these two opposing connotations of power exist. While it seems like most in this community would have a preference for one side of the power coin or the other, it also appears that both ideas could co-exist in many of us.

Which can be confusing to say the least.

For me, I feel like the powerful side of the coin is a bigger part of my sexuality, and yet there’s still a part of me that is allured by the vulnerability piece. A number of my friends have indicated similar “bi-curious” tendencies in this department.


FINDING BALANCE

I remember the first time I came across this blog by a guy who was renouncing gaining (
http://fantasyaddicts.onlineaddicts.org/). At first I thought it was silly and melodramatic—I mean, an anti-gainer twelve-step program? Isn’t that just Jenny Craig?—but as I read what he wrote, I came to realize that he was truly conflicted.

I’d always thought of gaining as an empowering thing. To me it was an expression of control over our bodies, of asserting our desires and of becoming the kind of men we’d always admired. But I’d never thought of it as something that could be altogether different. I hadn’t consciously thought about the other side of that power coin.

For this guy, it appeared to me, gaining was that vulnerable side of the coin in its most extreme form. For him, to be a gainer was to be completely out of control, to be powerless to his “addiction,” which is, presumably, to grow incredibly fat. There could be no assertive middle ground for him, specifically because his attraction was so strong and so extreme.

It’s truly unfortunate that his extreme desires would cause him enough anguish that he would want to abandon them cold turkey (he appears to have relapsed several times, indicating that he may never truly be able to kick them entirely).

It’s an extreme response, but chances are, if he’s feeling that way, others might have similar thoughts.

It seems like those of us who favor the assertive, powerful side of the coin are in a slightly easier position than those who favor vulnerability. Men are expected to be masculine and powerful in our society. Social norms tell us we should take control of our lives and be stewards of our own fates. And it’s in our human nature to not want to relinquish control completely.

And yet for so many of us, relinquishing that control is exciting. It can be the reason we’re drawn to gaining. It can simultaneously turn us on and terrify us at the same time.

Walking that fine line can be difficult. And for those who find it most vexing (such as our blogger friend), it can be reason enough to try to leave it behind. But it shouldn’t have to be.

For those who find themselves on that line, it’s important to think about the motivations behind your desires. There’s no one right way to be a gainer and so it’s important that you be both true to your desires (which may be, say, to become immobile) and true to yourself (which may mean needing to remain mobile) at the same time.

Obviously this kind of thing requires careful thought and an appropriate dose of compromise. But it should never be cause for total abandonment of this interest that also brings us joy and satisfaction.

Understanding that which motivates us and meditating on our conflicting desires can help us to understand who we are as people and lead to making better decisions about whether to gain, maintain or lose.

13 comments:

  1. We ALL should be trying to find that happiness or point of balance that satisfies us and allows us to love the life we live. Loving your life allows you to thrive.

    Your examination of the power dynamic within this issue is interesting, yet somewhat upsetting. My respect for your thoughts and admiration for your ability to state them in the manner you do keeps me from being upset about it, so let's tackle the "interesting".

    Why does a love of a certain body type or erotic feeling have to be reduced to an exchange of power? Most people into this just love the way food feels going into their mouths, or they love the way a slowly expanding body feels. I don't think I speak for ALL gainers, encouragers and fat lovers with that thought, but it bears exploration.

    As far as why? If I feel that the person asking me why isn't asking in the sense of "what's wrong with you?", I have no problem stating why I'm attracted to bellies, or men for that matter. The truth of it is, most of us don't want to be figured out, because aside from the enigma that some of us want to make our lives seem like, there's nothing else there. We're not deep or complicated - we just like what we like...but some of us feel that if others knew that, they'd judge us.

    Thanks once again SFBD02 for a great blog entry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering where you were going with this at first, but by the end of it I felt like you wrote this for me.. weird. I would say I am split right down the middle between power and vulnerability. I enjoy getting bigger because it allows me to take control and eat what I want and gain weight as a consequence. When someone calls me "big boy"( I look forward to it turning to "fatboy") or moves out of my way on the street when I am walking towards them I can feel that power that my size commands and I love it.

    On the flip side, I would say that my sexuality is driven by the vulnerability aspect of it. For some reason, having another guy want to make me fatter to the point that I completely lose control of my weight is just what gets me going. To call it confusing would be an understatement.

    But as confusing as it can be, it keeps things interesting. No one can be in complete control of their life constantly and no one really wants to have no control of their life; it just wouldn't be any fun. So hopefully I can find a balance between the two and enjoy both when the opportunity presents itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an admirer/encourager, that pretty much hits the same thing for me.

    It's - honestly - really frigging hot to see a huge, manly guy. The idea of the strong, masculine protector - the guy who is large and in charge - is probably the biggest driving force in my sexuality.

    Okay, second biggest: It's even hotter when he gives up control, at least temporarily. I think the show of vulnerability/giving up of control by someone who should - by all appearances - be "driving the bus" is hot like fire.

    But on the other hand...I'm going to admit this, the entire idea of immobility and stuff like that is kind of a turnoff. And really, if you feel like you're out of control with stuff and you're not okay with that...then, shoot, I'm more than fine with giving things up.

    That's kind of why when - say - I look at Bellybuilders, I'm really put off by the threads featuring those guys from the TLC Fatty Sunday specials. (Believe me, I've looked at them. They are just the opposite of hot to me.) I mean, it's fascinating to see one human eat as much food in a day as I do in a week and a half or two weeks (and I'm not even exaggerating - I can specifically recall one special named something like, "I Eat 36,000 Calories A Day,"), but it just ends up being sad.

    (Not only that, there are other things - namely, the associated health issues. I mean, I enjoy my boners as much as the next guy, but if you have serious health problems that can be resolved by losing weight, then lose the weight.)

    Doubly so - I'm probably going to disagree with you and say props to the guy for giving up something that doesn't bring him joy anymore. It's sad that he's lost enjoyment from it and all of that, but...people change.

    I can understand myself - I used to be a hardcore MMO player. I was on CONSTANTLY. At all hours. But as time went on, I lost interest and decided to give it up for a while. I still participate in the community at times, but it's not a big part of my life. And I'm happy with it.

    Other people have renounced it entirely. And it's been sad to see them go, but they kind of needed to for themselves.

    I'm rambling a bit - something tells me I shouldn't comment about sexual issues while recovering from a head cold. But that's how I see things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the thought-provoking comments thusfar!

    BROWNROUND: Thanks for voicing your thoughts! I don't think I was trying to reduce all of gaining to a simple exchange of power... but rather to look at the underlying themes. I certainly enjoy the taste of food and the feeling of a growing body, as you mentioned, but there's something more underneath my interest than simple taste or feel... it's an underlying motivation. And I think it's something that there's for most gainers.

    The act of growing has in itself an element of power (growth requires power and growth begets power), so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that power plays a role in our community. I don't mean to ever say that somehow that means we're all just whacked out on power, I just think it's good for us to know more about the motivations that exist underneath our interest and be aware of where those motivations may conflict within ourselves or with others. Hope that explains my point a little bit...

    BESTSERVEDCOLD: I'm glad it resonated. I think a lot of us share the same kind of conflicting motivations as you do. But you're right, it definitely keeps thing interesting!!!

    ANONYMOUS: Thanks for commenting--always good to get the encourager perspective! I can't say I agree with your analysis of our blogger friend though--I see gaining as not just another interest like video games, but as a sexuality, quite something quite similar to being gay. It's awfully darn hard-wired.

    I don't think this guy has truly "changed" his sexuality, as he's admitted to relapsing multiple times (something most ex-gays admit to as well). The desires are still there for him and it's a shame that he can't embrace them in a healthy way.

    Some people may decide gaining/encouraging or being gay are too problematic and leave them behind completely (and I respect their decision to do so), but I don't think that's an ideal situation. It would be great if we lived in a world where every gay person could be happy and healthy with their sexuality--and ditto for every gainer/encourager. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to get off topic - I'm the anon from earlier. (First time I'm signing my name for one of these posts. I guess this is my "coming-out" party.)

    But...to be honest, I'm conflicted now because there are so many variables involved.

    First is the degree to which it's ingrained in someone's sexuality. I think you wrote about this a month or so ago - with the different degrees of gainerism. For you, it's really ingrained...for me, maybe a bit less so. I find gaining hot, and fat guys positive about themselves REALLY hot, but there are other things that are variables.

    Another thing is...well, I decided to take a quick glance again, and noticed one thing in one of his more recent posts (one of the last ones he made) - where he said he caught himself hopping on BF and making plans to encourage some guy while he was in a relationship. That's just...yeah, there's something wrong with that. Call me old-fashioned, but the idea of creeping around with another man is kind of wrong to me.

    And then there are many, MANY others.

    In the abstract, I do still disagree with you - if you're truly unhappy with the gaining thing or the encouraging thing, then by all means leave it behind if you can. I think it's sad if you do, but ultimately it's your choice to do so. (And - yeah - I can think of good reasons to do so; for example, if you need to protect your health and the G/E scene is just way too much temptation to engage in unhealthy eating habits.)

    But in reality...it's harder than it sounds. I'll agree, when I was just getting into it I had similar experiences - I decided, "You know what, I won't look at Bellybuilders or Beefyfrat anymore," and then two weeks later I'd be on those sites again with my pants around my ankles. I've been where he's been a bit, though not as strongly.

    More than that, though, I just don't think that deciding that gaining and encouraging are EVIL and HORRIBLE INFLUENCES is really healthy in any sense. Same for any sexual subculture - I mean, I don't like extreme BDSM that much, but I don't think someone's a horrible person if they enjoy getting tied to a St. Andrew's Cross and being brutally flayed by a riding crop. (As long as it's safe, sane, and consensual.)

    In the end, I think you have to come to terms with your sexual desires. And if they're really strong for you, you need to talk to your SO about that shit if you're partnered/choose a partner that will understand that if you're single and looking/keep it in mind if you're just plain single.

    I think it may be easier for me (given that...like, I've never really felt the urge to gain myself, so it isn't always something that shows up), but that's just how I feel.

    tl;dr - I see your point, and I'll agree that he had issues (not sure if he STILL has them now, since it's been 2 1/2 years since that blog's been updated), but in the abstract I still respectfully disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Part I)

    I'm an encourager/admirer, and for me it's the "power" dynamic in the gaining process that intrigues me the most. Greater size... greater weight... greater appetite (and greater confidence in indulging that appetite) all equate to greater power and masculinity. At least, in my mind they do.

    As a 6'6", 120 lbs. individual, it's kind of tough sometimes for me to come to grips with this perspective because I'm NOT big-built, and I recongize I don't have the kind of power that I admire in gainers. Yet, I DO have a lot of self-confidence... in my talents and intelligence and in my character.

    And I do have a certain degree of confidence in my physicality, too. I like what I see in the mirror. I think my frame size and build are fairly unique (I've never come across another adult male with as small/narrow of a chest, waist, hips and shoulders as mine). I was always taught growing up that it was a good thing to be unique. And being so lanky and wiry just somehow really suits me.

    But I've had enough interactions with people, and read and seen enough in the media, to realize that most folks would rate me rather low on the power scale. When most folks see me, the term "98 lbs. weakling" most likely pops into their heads.

    I get teased a LOT about my weight and build, and even when it is at its good-natured best, I know that teasing comes from a perspective of feeling physically superior to me.

    And literally, I know that I'm not physically very strong. I can manage 60 lbs. for my one rep max on the bench press. Although I love to wrestle around, I have to admit that I usually wind up being thrown around like a rag doll whenever I do wrestle, even when I'm trying my damnedest to win.

    Also, my appetite/capacity is rather small. I eat one slice of pizza and I feel completely stuffed (and I don't even eat the end crust!).

    I would probably be more unhappy with this lack of physical power regarding my size/weight and strength if it weren't for my height. Even as small-built and lightweight as I may be, there is STILL a certain degree of respect and/or admiration I receive just for being so tall. Some people are actually somewhat intimidated by my height, even if they do significantly outsize/outweigh me.

    That kind of dichotomy about my physicality is something I find to be interesting and fun. Yeah... I'm almost always the lightest-weight individual in a room, but I'm also almost always the tallest one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Part II)

    In some ways it's been difficult learning to accept my size (or lack thereof), but in making the effort, I've realized that size and strength differences can be very appealing. In part that's due to an artistic perception and appreciation in general of the world around me. Incorporating contrast is oftentimes an integral part of the artistic process... the highs balance the lows... the light balances the dark... loudness balances softness... small balances big.

    So, even as a "98 lbs. weakling" I know that I play a part. And although in many ways I do feel physically inferior to bigger-built men... there's perhaps a bit of power I derive from catering to them, by discovering their "buttons" and pushing them to turn them on, that I can play an active role in building them up (both literally and figuratively). Although by encouraging someone to grow even bigger I'm increasing the size difference and perhaps giving them even more power... I find that being an instrument to that end is a signficant role to play. One that should be respected.

    I do have to add... I have met gainers who want to feel controlled and dominated by me. I'm always fascinated by how this dynamic must work in their mind. Maybe the idea of losing control (what they view as losing control) to someone so much smaller than they are makes it an even more intense experience for them. There's a kind of ironic twist in the power play where the small guy dominates the large guy. It goes against the expected which can be erotic.

    It's VERY interesting, though... how I can be hand-feeding a doughnut to a gainer, and he can possibly view that interaction in a manner completely different from my own. It's like two different stories about the same situation. I think that can be pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. INFERNO: First of all, congrats on "coming out" on here. always nice to see more guys attach their screennames to their comments!

    So I just wanted to say that I really don't think we disagree much, if it all. I completely agree that if someone really could leave this all behind and not care because it gives him so little joy, then I'd never ask that person to stay. In such an instance, certainly leaving would be the best option!

    But life is rarely that black and white--as you pointed out, for many of us it's much more difficult in reality. Like I said in my earlier comment, I respect anyone's choice to leave this scene (or even decide to become an ex-gay). I just think it would be great if more people could find a happy medium between their conflicting desires than "quit" this kink cold turkey.

    TWIGSTER6FT6: Thanks so much for sharing that. Certainly gives us a lot of food for thought (pardon the pun).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree, generally, with Brownround. I was a little disappointed in this post, because I felt that it DIDN'T really speak to me this time. I recognize that power issues DO play a role for many guys in this community, but for me, that's just not the case (I don't think).

    It illustrates that there are many different variants within gainers/encouragers. Some are into the power and vulnerability--reminds me of how for some, it's sort of an outgrowth of the guys who are generally into size issues, muscle-growth, and so forth. As Brownround said, for some, it's all about food and eating, in one form or another. For me, though, I think it has more to do with seeing and admiring the guy's shape, hearing him discuss his weight, and that sort of thing.

    In short: I think we should just recognize that the power issue is but ONE of the many answers to the "why?" question.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ANON: Point taken. Perhaps an appropriate caveat to this post would be that the power dichotomy isn't universal for the gainer/encourager community, but rather a core motivation for SOME of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I acknowledge that this is probably a separate topic on its own, I'd like to speak to the comment and response exchange which I'll paraphrase here as: "quitting cold turkey" versus "fighting your sexual hardwiring."

    One statement implies that gaining is a habit, a behavior formed by repetition that can be changed over time. The other sets a context of gaining as something ingrained within one's sexuality, making any effort to avoid expressing it a repression of one's basic carnal hunger.

    I think it would be more precise to state that the *act* of gaining for many if not all of us consists of very specific behaviors and mental paradigms rooted in erotic gratification. (I have yet to hear a gainer state that they're getting fat *solely* as an intellectual exercise.)

    It's true that excessively repressing one's sexuality can be extremely unhealthy...but it's also true that expressing and acting on one's urges isn't necessarily the healthiest option either. The behaviors under any given umbrella can vary in legality and moral impact. Gaining from one angle and taken to the final conclusion can be seen from the outside as a slow suicide, with some assistance from the encourager's angle.

    I suppose I'm stuck between approving of a choice to say, "I have to undo whatever I've been doing that makes me unhappy", and supporting gaining as a healthy expression of sexuality. Sfbaydude was specific in stating that he hopes for a moderate option between extremist immersion and walking away from a kink (or orientation) entirely, but some people just don't see it as an option, especially when their personal demons of identity and self-image have yet to be resolved, and in some cases are being strengthened by outside opinion.

    My own pleasure in gaining and getting fat began to diminish just about the time old thought patterns of self-criticism and self-loathing started surfacing after I'd immersed myself in the gaining social community online and didn't "come up for air", as it were. My life circumstances at the time created a "perfect storm" for that situation to worsen over time, and I own that. I don't "blame" gaining for putting me in a terrible position, I blame myself for not addressing the ticking time bombs in my psyche before this time. Yes, I don't see gaining itself as a sickness, but I *do* believe there can be "wrong" reasons for indulging in it.

    As far as the power/vulnerability dichotomy goes...I agree it's only one of several manifestations of the relationship between gainer and encourager, but I think it's a significant one, if only because the "homework" on power exchange has been extensive within the BDSM community. The yardstick can't be applied to all gainer/encourager relations, obviously, but I suspect it exists even at the subconscious level.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sexuality is a powerful thing, even if a particular scenario does not involve one person taking power over another.
    It is difficult for me to imagine such a scenario myself, as themes of dominance/submission are so hard-wired into my sexuality - but engaging in sex or fantasies, even when in a submissive or neutral role, commonly brings with it a feeling of intense power.

    Anyway, since there seems to be a lot of debate on the issue hereabouts, heres my take on repression.

    I can sympathise with this gainer's desire to fight his kink - I've been there. I'm not a gainer - I have my feeder/encourager tendencies, but my fantasy life mainly involves big guys taking charge of little guys like myself in violent, often *fatally* violent - fashions.
    Now - that would be great if I was psychotic and could just jerk off without thinking about how many imaginary guys are being killed off in my head - but I've always been, if anything, an over-moralistic fellow.
    That - coupled with the health issues of being attracted to really BIG guys in general, and not wanting the guys I might like to make themselves ill - was just a percect recipe for long-term repression.
    So in the early years I just tried to deny it completely - thought I was the worst kind of freak imaginable.
    Later on I tried to kid myself that I can just get into plain old sex with a big guy - I even can to a degree! it's just difficult to explain why you're only really ever up for one round when the guy you're with is up for an all night romp - which is because after one stint of 'normal' sex my mind is always going to end up drifting towards the obscure.
    The simple fact I can attest to is - repression is *REALLY* unhealthy. We don't really do mental health in my family anyway, but when I was still telling myself there was something wrong with me - and wanting desperately for these fantasies to stop - I was so down on myself I neglected to care for my own welfare at even the most basic of levels. I mean, obviously gaining weight might be unhealthy, but the mental conflict caused by repression is just awful!
    It's nigh-on impossible to feel right in yourself unless you can accept yourself for everything you are and even love yourself for it. I'm not sure if I can 'love' my fantasy life yet - maybe if it one day causes me to meet the big, fat homicidal weirdo of my dreams, then sure! but for now I can at least laugh my ass off at it and accept it. I've only started to get my life in gear at all since I decided as much.

    When you repress it's like you're putting all your efforts into swimming up-river and getting nowhere - you're way better off turning downstream and swimming with the current. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, thanks for that entry. The blogger you mention has a lot in common with myself. He and I used to hang out once in while when he lived in NYC. I think there is also another aspect of the vulnerabilty. I know many other gainers who also get off on the, for lack of a better word, shame. For a fit handsome guy to go from ripped 6-pack to doughy belly gets alot of negative attention from friends and family. Plenty of guys myself included love hearing, the "what happened to you" or "hey fatty". The whole muscles getting covered and soft, pecs turning to moobs, dick shrinking around underbelly is very de-masculating. Its incredible hot to some. The problem is after you orgasm, there you are 60 pounds overweight,with only a very small subset of a subset finding you attractive, no clothes fitting, high blood pressure and your doctor giving you grief. I used wonder if I could somehow satisfy my gainer desire with bodybuilding when I thought it was only a size, power thing. I've come to realize it wouldnt. When I was 150, 200 seemed huge. At 200, 225 seemed big. When I hit 220 I realized I will never be big enough. I've actually tried to do what the blogger did and stop going online and thinking about gaining, but that is impossible. I'm now trying to just have fun and not hurt anybody, including me.

    ReplyDelete