
I’ve been wanting to write about this topic for some time, but it’s a difficult one to handle. The question: Is it possible to be into gaining/encouraging and have a relationship with a guy who isn’t?
I know this is a hot button topic for a lot of guys with our kink—most gainers/encouragers in relationships right now are partnered to guys who aren’t into gaining/encouraging (who we’ll call “civilians”). So I’ll tread carefully.
The answer to the aforementioned question is no. And yes. And maybe. Truth be told, the answer is different for every guy. It’s entirely dependent on what you want and what you’re willing to give up.
THE TROUBLE WITH DATING CIVILIANS
Expansion is wonderful for the camaraderie it breeds, but it’s also a nifty fishbowl. Through heart-to-heart conversations and casual observation, one can walk away with a lot of fresh insight about our community. A number of guys came this year with their civilian boyfriends and it was great to see so many fellas who just wanted to support their partners and learn more about their kink.
After the event, I was chatting with one a gainer friend who said the event helped his civilian partner understand his interest in all this much better.
One anecdote was particularly telling. The two of them had been to plenty of bear runs in the past and were accustomed to spending time in a pool with lots of big, hairy men. At the bear runs, his civilian partner recounted, guys would often float by and grab his dick. Expansion was much the same in terms of look—big, hairy men hanging out in the pool. And the guys certainly floated by and groped him. But not one guy grabbed his dick. They were all aiming a little further north: They wanted to rub his belly. It was then that his partner began to understand just how “different” their sexualities were.
That story somewhat illustrates the point I made in my first post “We Are Freaks/We Are Awesome”—the thing that makes us gainers and encouragers so different from other dudes is not the type of guys we want, but rather the kind of sex and intimacy we want with them. Gaining is really about what’s in our heads, and being in a relationship with a guy who doesn’t have the same thing going on in his head can be… well, complicated.
Some argue that sex shouldn’t be the most important thing in a relationship. That’s true. But let’s be honest, sex is still important.
There is a fundamental obstacle in any gainer-civilian relationship: your civilian partner will never be the center of your sexual universe. Yes there may be a very strong attraction and even some chemistry. But at the end of the day, you and he want rather different things between the sheets. It’s a problem that can be more easily overcome in the short-term, but tends to create tension and conflict in the long-term.
We discussed some of the short-term fixes during one of the seminars at Expansion. Some gainer/encouragers elect to keep their desires in their head, playing mental acrobatics in bed to make things work without freaking out their partners. Some civilian partners try “co-opting” gaining, meaning they play along, say the things their boyfriend wants to hear and maybe even put on some weight. And some guys choose to open up their relationships and meet their needs with other men.
All of these tactics help gainers and encouragers to cope. They work, to a degree, but none of them solves that fundamental problem: Your partner isn’t the center of your sexual universe. And shouldn’t he be all that—and more?
Now that conclusion is based on the assumption that gaining/encouraging is important to your sexuality. For some guys, like myself, it is. For others, it might not be. So it’s critical to be honest and evaluate just how important all this is before deciding your own answer.
ARE YOU A G1 OR A G6? IT MATTERS.
Just like the Kinsey scale for sexuality, there is a sort of gainer scale for us as well (no, not that kind of scale… get your mind out of the gutter people!) This kink isn’t the same for everyone—many of us have different interests and fantasies—and the degree to which it impacts our sexuality varies widely.
Can’t reach climax without some kind of physical or mental stimulation relating to gaining, bellies or some similar interest? You’re probably a Gainer 6.
Do you only think about these kinds of things every once in a while to get off, and otherwise have normative sexual desires or other paraphilia? You’re more of a Gainer 1.
Most of us probably fall in the spectrum somewhere between those two extremes.
Knowing where you are on that scale will help you to answer for yourself whether you should be in a relationship with a civilian. This is the time for total self-honesty. How much of your sexuality is gaining/encouraging? Do you think about it every time you masturbate? And no, it doesn’t “count” if you have normative sex with a guy, but are thinking about gainer/encourager fantasies the whole time.
If this is all just one small facet of your sexuality, then perhaps a civilian relationship could work for you provided your other sexual needs were met. If it’s a big part of who you are, you may want to think about the feasibility of making a civilian relationship work—and I mean really work—in the long term.
WHY SETTLE?
In the interest of full disclosure, I’d probably place myself as a Gainer 5. This kink is pretty well embedded into my sexuality. It’s a critical aspect of what I want in sex and even in a relationship. While I wouldn’t entirely rule out a relationship with someone who’s not into gaining/encouraging, I don’t think that scenario is very likely. I’d need to be convinced that he was not only OK with it all, but could also engage it on a certain level. And even then I’d still have reservations.
When all is said and done I want a partner who—in addition to being a great person—is the center of my sexual universe; and who places me at the center of his. I don’t want a partner who needs to think about someone else, or some other fantasy, to be intimate with me. And he deserves the same. I don’t want a relationship that requires us to sleep with other men to fulfill our deepest desires. I want one where we not only share our deepest desires with each other—we revel in them.
Am I asking too much?
Perhaps, but when it comes to “the one,” why should we settle? Shouldn’t we try for what we really want? I know a lot of guys can get caught up in the numbers (there aren’t that many gainer/encouragers in this world!) and feel trapped by those limits.
I remain optimistic, but that’s a topic for next week’s posting.
I know this is a hot button topic for a lot of guys with our kink—most gainers/encouragers in relationships right now are partnered to guys who aren’t into gaining/encouraging (who we’ll call “civilians”). So I’ll tread carefully.
The answer to the aforementioned question is no. And yes. And maybe. Truth be told, the answer is different for every guy. It’s entirely dependent on what you want and what you’re willing to give up.
THE TROUBLE WITH DATING CIVILIANS
Expansion is wonderful for the camaraderie it breeds, but it’s also a nifty fishbowl. Through heart-to-heart conversations and casual observation, one can walk away with a lot of fresh insight about our community. A number of guys came this year with their civilian boyfriends and it was great to see so many fellas who just wanted to support their partners and learn more about their kink.
After the event, I was chatting with one a gainer friend who said the event helped his civilian partner understand his interest in all this much better.
One anecdote was particularly telling. The two of them had been to plenty of bear runs in the past and were accustomed to spending time in a pool with lots of big, hairy men. At the bear runs, his civilian partner recounted, guys would often float by and grab his dick. Expansion was much the same in terms of look—big, hairy men hanging out in the pool. And the guys certainly floated by and groped him. But not one guy grabbed his dick. They were all aiming a little further north: They wanted to rub his belly. It was then that his partner began to understand just how “different” their sexualities were.
That story somewhat illustrates the point I made in my first post “We Are Freaks/We Are Awesome”—the thing that makes us gainers and encouragers so different from other dudes is not the type of guys we want, but rather the kind of sex and intimacy we want with them. Gaining is really about what’s in our heads, and being in a relationship with a guy who doesn’t have the same thing going on in his head can be… well, complicated.
Some argue that sex shouldn’t be the most important thing in a relationship. That’s true. But let’s be honest, sex is still important.
There is a fundamental obstacle in any gainer-civilian relationship: your civilian partner will never be the center of your sexual universe. Yes there may be a very strong attraction and even some chemistry. But at the end of the day, you and he want rather different things between the sheets. It’s a problem that can be more easily overcome in the short-term, but tends to create tension and conflict in the long-term.
We discussed some of the short-term fixes during one of the seminars at Expansion. Some gainer/encouragers elect to keep their desires in their head, playing mental acrobatics in bed to make things work without freaking out their partners. Some civilian partners try “co-opting” gaining, meaning they play along, say the things their boyfriend wants to hear and maybe even put on some weight. And some guys choose to open up their relationships and meet their needs with other men.
All of these tactics help gainers and encouragers to cope. They work, to a degree, but none of them solves that fundamental problem: Your partner isn’t the center of your sexual universe. And shouldn’t he be all that—and more?
Now that conclusion is based on the assumption that gaining/encouraging is important to your sexuality. For some guys, like myself, it is. For others, it might not be. So it’s critical to be honest and evaluate just how important all this is before deciding your own answer.
ARE YOU A G1 OR A G6? IT MATTERS.
Just like the Kinsey scale for sexuality, there is a sort of gainer scale for us as well (no, not that kind of scale… get your mind out of the gutter people!) This kink isn’t the same for everyone—many of us have different interests and fantasies—and the degree to which it impacts our sexuality varies widely.
Can’t reach climax without some kind of physical or mental stimulation relating to gaining, bellies or some similar interest? You’re probably a Gainer 6.
Do you only think about these kinds of things every once in a while to get off, and otherwise have normative sexual desires or other paraphilia? You’re more of a Gainer 1.
Most of us probably fall in the spectrum somewhere between those two extremes.
Knowing where you are on that scale will help you to answer for yourself whether you should be in a relationship with a civilian. This is the time for total self-honesty. How much of your sexuality is gaining/encouraging? Do you think about it every time you masturbate? And no, it doesn’t “count” if you have normative sex with a guy, but are thinking about gainer/encourager fantasies the whole time.
If this is all just one small facet of your sexuality, then perhaps a civilian relationship could work for you provided your other sexual needs were met. If it’s a big part of who you are, you may want to think about the feasibility of making a civilian relationship work—and I mean really work—in the long term.
WHY SETTLE?
In the interest of full disclosure, I’d probably place myself as a Gainer 5. This kink is pretty well embedded into my sexuality. It’s a critical aspect of what I want in sex and even in a relationship. While I wouldn’t entirely rule out a relationship with someone who’s not into gaining/encouraging, I don’t think that scenario is very likely. I’d need to be convinced that he was not only OK with it all, but could also engage it on a certain level. And even then I’d still have reservations.
When all is said and done I want a partner who—in addition to being a great person—is the center of my sexual universe; and who places me at the center of his. I don’t want a partner who needs to think about someone else, or some other fantasy, to be intimate with me. And he deserves the same. I don’t want a relationship that requires us to sleep with other men to fulfill our deepest desires. I want one where we not only share our deepest desires with each other—we revel in them.
Am I asking too much?
Perhaps, but when it comes to “the one,” why should we settle? Shouldn’t we try for what we really want? I know a lot of guys can get caught up in the numbers (there aren’t that many gainer/encouragers in this world!) and feel trapped by those limits.
I remain optimistic, but that’s a topic for next week’s posting.

I'm really enjoying this blog.
ReplyDeleteI know it's getting redundant to say this, but GREAT post. What's best about what you said in this blog, is people being honest enough with themselves and patient enough to search for what they really want in a relationship.
ReplyDeleteI see it so much in this gainer scene - fine plump guys who are in LTRs with guys who don't even understand the gainer fetish, while they play around on the side with gainer or chaser guys who do. I wonder why they stay in those relationships. Not to judge, but it seems dishonest and weak.
While I myself am not a gainer, a huge part of my sexuality is tied into the size of my belly and having it rubbed. It's imperative that whatever guy I'm with understand that. As far as what I want? I guess I'm a Gainer 3...lol...the guy I'm with should be lightly or moderately fat to make me happy, but he doesn't have to be a gainer. I'd guess I'd prefer a chaser who has a little fat on him. I would like for him to have other qualities that make us get along well though.
Keep your optimism man - there's a guy out there for you. Hang on and continue to be you and he will come. :-)
Dig your Sex and the City style of writing and how you question the reader. Lurve ur Blog!
ReplyDeleteNot to sound jaded, but if you're looking for a guy to permanently be the center of your sexual universe, you're dreaming.
ReplyDeleteRelationships, including attraction to each other, ebb and flow. A partner who is into your kinks is great, but what are the chances you'll be into all their kinks? Let a partner educate you on their sexual foibles, and do the same in return. Hell, even everyone's take on gainerdom is different.
hey vancub, thanks for posting. I don't think I said anything about "permanently"... but yeah, at the very least I'd like it to start out that way...
ReplyDeleteI guess we disagree here. Attraction may ebb and flow, but that's not my point. To me, this is much more than just an attraction. To a large degree, it IS my sexuality (hence the gainer scale thing). I don't want a partner I have to "educate" about the core of my sexuality, I want one who just "gets" it. That's where I'm coming from.
Fascinating once gain!
ReplyDeleteI never thought about using the basis of the Kinsey scale and then applying it to Gainers. It does make sense. The informations is almost presented as social science research.
Look forward to your next post, bud! Another two forks up!
FatBud
Great post, once again. It really hit home for me because I've been dating a "civillian" for almost a year and am battling with some of the questions you address.
ReplyDeleteI'm lucky, I suppose, because my boyfriend has willingly put on some weight and is really enjoying a lot of gainer-related things in bed. But it's true that it's not the center of his sex life, while it basically is for me (I'm probably about a 5 as well.) It's certain to be a big factor in my decision to take the relationship to the next step, if and when we get to that point.
Great post Jed. Big hugs from D.F.
ReplyDeleteBeing in a relationship with another gainer/encourager for the last 5 years, I can attest to how important that is. I would describe myself as a "gainer 5", while he is only a "3", in my opinion. However, being able to express this desire and make it manifest in reality is a great experience, and makes us closer than if i were dating a "civillian" from whom I was trying to hide this interest. In the process, I have gained 40 more lb, and he has gained 50 so far!
ReplyDeleteI really love your discussion here - very thought provoking. I'll have to remember to keep reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteI am dating (married to) a civilian. This is not (nor is it a part of) his sexuality. I've heard that gaining weight is indicative of a sort of disconnect between the body and mind. I think a lot of people who say this have never met a gainer knowingly or somehow deny they exist. However, I don't think this is total rubbish. I think it is true in the case of my husband. He is fat and he became fat because eating is a sort of comfort/escape mechanism. His family life sucked and was semi-abusive.
I'm into his body, of course, which frustrates him because of his desire to lose. Still, though, we both know how to turn each other on. If he lost too much would I cease to desire him? If I gained too much would he cease to desire me? We ask ourselves this once in a while.
Very interesting application of the Kinsey scale. I've sort of thought about this thing on a "scale" before, but not quite to this degree. I think you have articulated what many of us know instinctively--that there are degrees of interest in this sort of thing. I think a lot of just plain "chubs" fall into the "1" or "2" category, and sometimes confuse the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteI was reminded of this during a recent encounter with a guy who is also a member of the community. We had met before, and he's a very nice guy, but when it came to sexual interests, we just weren't quite on the same page. I think I'm about a "5" and he's about a "2". Although we enjoyed each other's bellies, he never brought up the issue of gaining or weight--I had to, and then it was a bit awkward.
For me, my sexuality is definitely tied more closely to the gainer/encourager theme.
I love the scale, it has let me realize how deep I am into this. I'm easily a 5.5 and more likely close to a 6. Here's the deal though. What can one do when in a very long term committed partnership with a "civilian" which began long before I knew anything of the term (gaining) which defined those vague, strange feelings and proclivities I have had since early childhood? On the one hand, I give up the center of my sexuality vs. giving up a nearly half lifetime of history with the one I have loved and love? Rough dilemma. So the authors point is well made. I could not agree more with the author that anyone high on the "scale" not yet in a committed relationship should "move heaven and earth" to find a life partner who shares this strong and most compelling sexual interest. I could not state that more strongly. - BelliedUp
ReplyDelete