Saturday, January 23, 2010

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Gainer Sex*

(*But Were Afraid to Ask)

Gainers don’t like to talk about sex.


I’m not sure what it is, but when you look on the forums on bellybuilders or dissect the conversations at Expansion or at any gainer bar night or luncheon, sex is a topic rarely touched on.


I can’t quite say why this is.


I mean, we’re all sexual beings—and we are connected by something that is sexual at its core. And yet sexual tastes tend to go undiscussed among gainer/encourager friends.


That gap became even more clear to me a few weeks back, when I was chatting with a longtime gainer friend who confided in me that his sexuality wasn’t quite like mine.


I was intrigued, so I asked him to elaborate.


“I just don’t like typical sex,” he said. “Anal and oral sex don’t do anything for me.”


His comment took me by surprise.


I had come to accept that most guys who share this interest aren’t all that into “normative” sex. It’s certainly never been terribly central to my desires. So for the first time in our friendship, we talked about sex, sexuality and kink.


But that conversation got me thinking—how much do we collectively know about our community’s sexual tastes? How prevalent is normative, anal sex among gainers and encouragers? Is it weird to be a gainer/encourager and not be into f*cking?



BUT… SEX?


My own personal experience has always led me to believe that we gainers and encouragers are wired a little differently than our bear, chub or twink counterparts.


When I chat with guys from bear sites or other non-gainer sites, the conversation quickly navigates to a few key questions: “Are you a top or a bottom?” “How big is your dick?” “Wanna know how big mine is?”


But when I chat with guys from the gainer sites, the questions usually go something more like: “How big is your belly?” “Do you plan on getting bigger?” “How much weight would look hot on me?”


Cross-referencing that with my own personal preferences, I’d always assumed that gainers were just less into normative anal sex than other gay guys.


But I figured it would be worth further exploration.


So again I turned to Bellybuilders to poll the community and find out if my soft observations would be backed up by hard data (I know this is very un-scientific, but it’s the closest we have to actual polling). With more than 200 responses, the community appeared to be split right down the middle.


Forty percent said they either liked, loved or were obsessed with anal sex.


Forty percent said they didn’t care for, disliked or hated it.


Twenty percent were indifferent.


So what does all that mean? Well primarily, it tells us that when it comes to anal sex, gainers and encouragers feel pretty “meh.”


Certainly there are those who love it (about 14 percent said that anal sex turned them on most or all of the time). And only one in 10 were in the same boat as my friend—absolutely hating even the idea of it.


But overall, 60 percent of the respondents felt anal sex was either OK, not so great, or just plain terrible. That means almost 2/3 of all gainers are at best apathetic about, if not outright turned off by, anal sex.


There are certainly plenty of non-gainer gay men who also don’t care for anal sex, but it’s the sheer imbalance of these numbers in our community that make them so profound.


And yet that imbalance makes sense. If all we wanted was typical anal sex with heavier guys, we’d be chubs and chasers. But we want something different.


For some of us that can be as simple and gratifying as a belly rub. For others it may need to involve role play about gaining weight or actually packing on a few (or a lot). Still others may be turned on by bringing food and feeding into the equation, or liquids to bloat.


Many of our fantasies can play out in real life without the need for anal sex. It doesn’t mean we don’t do it (and there’s certainly a solid portion of our community that does enjoy it); it just means that many of us can have gratifying sex lives without engaging in anal sex.



THE ANAL SEX DEFICIT


So why does any of this matter?


It matters because as gay men, we’re told by society (and other gay men) that we should like anal sex. It’s certainly true that anal sex can be a deeply intimate and satisfying experience, but we live in a world where many have come to consider it the only “real” sex we can have.


If you’re reading this, you’ve probably come to the realization on some level that society telling us what to like and not like is utter crap.


And yet having desires that stray so far from the mainstream can feel lonely at times. It’s one thing to like heavier dudes or think a belly is sexy. It’s something completely different to feel apathy or distaste for what is considered by many to be the holy grail of male same-sex relations.


It’s certainly something that can throw a major wrench into dating civilians, who are more likely to want regular anal sex to feel physically satisfied. If your partner wants to f*ck more often and you don’t, that can be a problem.


Of my gainer friends who’ve encountered this anal sex deficit in their civilian relationships, most have opted to become open in order to help their partners find the kind of sex they want. Several have ended their relationships in part because they felt they couldn’t satisfy their partner’s needs. Some have managed to find a happy compromise for both parties.


If you’re going to date a civilian (or even another gainer/encourager for that matter), it’s important to discuss your sexual tastes with them. Just saying that you like bellies or enjoy the idea of guys getting fatter isn’t enough.


We need to communicate what we actually like—and don’t like—between the sheets.


Be honest and forthright at the outset: There’s a good chance they’ll feel the same as you, and if they don’t, you’ll need to communicate that and find solutions.


At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that what makes us different doesn’t need to make us feel lonely.


For those who feel indifference or even distaste for anal sex, the message is clear: You’re not alone, not by a long shot. And for those who like it or love it: Ditto for you.


The important thing is to have fun and be safe.


As Woody Allen says: “Sex between two people is a beautiful thing… Between five is fantastic!”

6 comments:

  1. I took your Bellybuilders poll on anal and was one of the 16% who answered Dislike. I'm just not a sexual being in the traditional sense. There's a million other things about me that make me "not normal" - whatever the fuck that means - but I won't go into that now.

    I've heard other gainers say the same thing: my belly is my "sex organ". But is it really all about the belly rubs for some of us? Well, yes and no. Eating is itself part of the turn-on. As is watching another guy consume mass quantities. And walking around with a belly so full it hurts. And yes, all these things get me hard, but I'm not walking around just looking for an orifice to shove my dick into. I've always been more in need of "intellectual stimulation", and by that I don't mean memorizing the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I mean that intellectually, we all know that repeatedly stuffing yourself beyond being "full" will make you fatter, so when I watch a guy make 4, 5, 6 trips to the buffet I know that means that his belly's going to get bigger. Which, in itself, puts a big grin on my face. At which point I'm satisfied. My brain has reached climax, if you will. Because watching a guy get fatter makes me happy. Like Alanis Morissette said, "And all I need now is intellectual intercourse."

    I remember watching an episode of the Montel Williams show a few years ago, where they had people on who were "anti-sexuals". People who don't like sex, period. Not prudes who don't approve of sex, but men and women who, like me, have had sex with both genders and just don't get anything out of it. Predictably, there was a sex therapist on the show who was just horrified by the whole thing, and dismissed it out of hand (no pun intended) and said these people all needed her services because they were misguided freaks, and just couldn't accept that there were some people on this earth who didn't feel the need to fuck everything with a pulse. There's over 6 1/2 billion people on this planet. Surely there's one or two folks who get their stimulation and satisfaction in non-traditional ways. I'd wager there's a lot more of them than will admit to it, because society tells them they have to have sex to be human. Hm, there seems to be a lot of "societal norms" being snubbed here, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (continued due to character-count restriction on comments...)

    But I think part of the confusion over the whole gainer sex thing is no different than the confusion over ones own sexuality and fetishes when they discover them. A young man has his big sexual awakening, the first time he really "notices" another young boy or girl, and gets that tingly sensation. Not necessarily in the crotch, it may be that tingling you get behind your eyeballs when you're about to sneeze, but somewhere in his body a light starts flashing that says "WANT!" Now, if it's a young girl he's having this feeling about, and it's after his parents have had "the talk" with him, then he figures it must be what they were talking about, ok fine this is normal, no big. If it's pre-birds-and-bees-discussion then maybe he is confused by what he's feeling. But if he's feeling this way about another man, he's probably confused no matter what because either he's had the talk and now he's salivating over the "wrong" gender, or he hasn't had the talk and so he has no idea what the fuck is happening to him. So he feels alone and thinks he's a freak because he's somehow different than all 6.7 billion other people in the world. Except he's not alone, and one day he finds this out. Great, there's other gay men, I'm not alone, woo hoo! But surely all gay men are exactly the same, right? Because if they weren't, then when this young man discovers he's turned on by fat men he's going to be even more confused. But ok, now he's discovered the gaining subculture. But is he a chaser? Encourager? A gainer himself? So many labels! Then there's the whole bloating and inflation sub-sub-subcultures. It boggles the mind. And what? There's straight men and women into gaining too? Married hetero couples who feed each other?? It's enough to send a man running back to his parents' basement to spend the rest of his life being an Internet Tough Guy.

    So do I consider myself a gainer/encourager who's bisexual but not really sexual in the traditional sense who likes to feed other guys and get fed but isn't into "feed-me-fuck-me" and who likes to watch guys inflate but has never tried it himself but might someday and loves to give belly rubs and likes to hang out with thin bloaters and fat gainers and (gasp!) women of all shapes and sizes and maybe even cuddle in the loveseat with all of them but not shove my dick into all their orifices? That's a hell of a lot of "labels". We humans are obsessed with categorizing and organizing everything into neat little piles, aren't we?

    Or how about this: I am me. Nothing less. Nothing more. I am one of over six billion individuals on a very crowded planet, just trying to live my life and share it with someone who is at least similar enough to me that we don't strangle each other on a daily basis, but who isn't so like me that we bore each other to tears. Just like the other six billion individuals around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reminded of your earlier blog post about applying a Kinsey-type scale to the gainer/encourager world. I can't help but wonder whether there would be a correlation between those disinclined toward anal sex and those who are higher on the that scale. In other words, I suspect those whose sexuality is more heavily weighted (no pun intended) toward weight/fat/etc. are less likely to prefer stereotypically "normal" gay sex practices. As the previous commenter says, for these guys, there is something slightly more "intellectual" about sexual attraction.

    Regardless, it is reassuring for some of us to know that we are not the only ones who don't have an interest in anal sex!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They used to call me anal girl.


    I was very neat... and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the size of most gainers effect whether or not they are even capable of comfortably engaging in anal sex? I'm not that big on anal sex anyway, so I have never really brought it to the table when having sex with big-bellied men. But I would imagine that the large guts (and the fact that most cocks become 'smaller' as belly/body fat is gained) would make penetrating another man difficult or awkward, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. to the poster above. it's a good point, and yeah size could definitely play a role in sexual activity... but the point I'm making above is less about the mechanics of actual sex and more about simple desire. I think there's a reason why few gainers/encouragers online have ever bothered to ask me if I'm a top or bottom, or how big my dick is (especially when compared to the bear sites)... and certainly most gainers/encouragers in the world have yet to reach (or will never reach) a size that impedes their ability to have anal sex.

    It's definitely a good point and I'm sure it plays a small role, but again, I think when looking at desire (regardless of physical limitations) gainers/encouragers are still pretty split down the middle when it comes to liking/disliking anal sex.

    ReplyDelete